Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What a lovely day...

I went to a presentation during the Easter holidays to see a Year 8 student celebrated for his excellent work at the Center (sic) for Talented Youth. It was a fabulous occasion and I’m very glad to have been there. It is run by Johns Hopkins University.

There were about 500 children from the Pacific Rim being awarded and my student was the top achiever for maths.

His SAT score of 770/800 is near perfect, (to put this in context only 4 of the 500 scored over 700). SATs are the US uni entry exam. An 18 year old achieving this score would be admitted to just about any college he chose. My student is 12 years old.

It is very difficult to explain the measure of this giftedness, it goes beyond the profoundly gifted.

I'm glad I went to represent the school. It was so lovely to be so respected for an afternoon. Here is my name tag...


Isn't it fabulous? It is silk too, so I can keep it forever.

Everyone was saying, "Oh your a teacher? How wonderful." I was placed front and centre in the audience and asked to stand at one point for a big round of applause for my fine work!!
What a change from the usual "You teach maths? Why would you want to do that?"

No comments: